A 7-month old Florida boy is dead after consuming a detergent pod. These colorful detergent pods are causing a growing number of problems. Normally it would not be fatal if a child ate soap, but parents should always check with the National Poison Control Center in the case of soap ingestion
. There is extra risk with laundry pods. The amount of soap in these highly concentrated pods is so high it can be fatal if a child consumes one. The CDC says
, "Clinicians should be aware that all household cleaning products and detergents have the potential to cause illness, but that laundry detergent pod exposures might represent an emerging public health concern because laundry pod exposures had an increased frequency of adverse signs, symptoms, and health outcomes versus non-pod laundry detergent exposures in a vulnerable population."
The pods look just like candy, which makes them extra attractive to small children. ABC News
cites data from the American Association of Poison Control Centers
that found 6,231 calls came into poison control centers regarding incidents with children and the pods. There have already been over 5,700 similar calls this year. There really is no reason at all for manufacturers to make these pods resemble candy. Consumer groups also want the products to have a bitter tasting coating so kids will want to spit them out instead of chewing and swallowing them. Take a look: